Skip to main content

The Casagrande Sweater - a test knitting journey

Before we really get into this. I'd like to mention that if you hang around long or follow me on instagram, you'll notice I do not have a museum quality house.  I have a lived in house with people and dogs and lots of life happening.  So, as you glance around at piles of throw pillows in the corner or things tossed on the foot of the bed, realize its a balancing act and I'm going to choose to go ahead and take pictures in my not perfect bedroom and just let it be what it is.  

You may remember that in the fall of 2019 I was introduced to yarn pond and really fell down that rabbit hole in January of 2020 while I was on bedrest after hip surgery.  Last spring I happened upon a test knit call for a sweater so beautiful I just had to put my name in to test knit.  I had the privilege to be selected and was able to test knit the Casagrande Sweater by Sharon Hartley.  Its a beautiful sweater with a keyhole back, a ribbon bow, and lacey sleeves closed with a box pleat.  It was a nice long test knit and I should have had plenty of time but I actually got it finished and posted ON release day (sorry, Sharon). The problem was not with the pattern, it was with my own fickleness.  I really should have had plenty of time.  First, I knit one whole sleeve in a light purple that I originally intended to use for the upper 1/3 of the sweater and the sleeves but then later after doing the body I realized I wanted the sleeves to line up more with the body rather than flow down from the top in a solid color.  Not only did that mean starting the sleeves over, but it also meant asking the wonderful lady behind The Violet Valentine to dye me up some more yarn really quickly!  Luckily, she is the best and happily did so.  What originally was going to be multiple different yarns I had on hand from indie dyers ended up entirely yarn from The Violet Valentine because I was just so set on using that Iris yarn in the middle.  I LOVE irises.  We have quite a few in our yard.  In fact, most of them are blooming right now and I love to see them all happy in the sun.  The yellow being a semi-solid would have been the hardest thing to create a match to so she dyed me up an extra skein of Iris and a skein of a coordinating semi-solid purple.  

I probably could have/should have started the fade into the semi-solid purple a bit sooner but it was easier for the sleeves to keep the variegated in play up to where the yoke is in the round and you are above the lace panels on the sleeves.  You can see here how the box pleat at the shoulder meets up with the yoke. You can also see here how my collar ended up a little bit wider than the pattern called for.  I really should have ripped it back, I don't know how I mis-measured but instead of a 1 inch collar I ended up with more like a 1.25" collar or possibly even slightly wider and I can definitely tell.  It feels a bit wide on me.  

I knit the 40" size which gives me four inches of positive ease in the pattern and its possible my knitting loosened up when I knit the sweater as opposed to the gauge swatch.  I actually preferred the preblocking length when I compare the photos after the fact.  Same for the sleeve length.  I am often afraid of things ending up short but once I block them they end up a bit big.  This photo here is before blocking and also before adding ribbon to the collar so it is just laying open in the back which is why it looks a bit more boatneck here. 


Blocking is a must with lace though and the lace sleeves really are beautiful.  I love that the sweater is lightweight and easy to wear.  I also love its bright happy colors and the feature that originally drew me to the pattern, the sweet keyhole back with the bow.  I do know from looking at other people's tests of this same sweater that the lace pattern will stand out more in a solid or a lightly speckled yarn.  I know the lace pattern was much easier to see in my original sleeve but I don't think I would have liked the finished product as much.  Another thing you might notice here is how much the yoke grew after blocking.  I have a very short torso and short shoulders.  If I were to knit this sweater again I would take some length out of the yoke to get the box pleats to sit higher on my shoulders like they do on the original sweater model.

I wore my Casagrande Sweater to the office last week and I actually think that because the sweater itself is a bit loose and drapey I prefer it with more fitted pants.  (I know one photo makes it look fitted, but that it just the camera angle).  I did change the ribbon out from a shorter dark purple ribbon to a long and lovely yellow.  A vintage brooch on the collar seemed just the thing to complement the sweet sweater design.  I think it is good dressed up or down and I think it would be great with a pencil skirt. 

The moral of this test knit story is, be decisive about your yarn, don't change your mind halfway through and never say, "Oh I have plenty of time."  Time has this funny way of disappearing when we are lollygagging because we think we have plenty of it.   And maybe save the experimental fades for another project.  For exact yardages I used for my fade, progress photos and my notes, you can find my Ravelry project of the test knit here.  If Ravelry is inaccessible to you and you have any questions, feel free to ask questions in the comments or shoot me an email.   

As much as I enjoy knitting thicker cozy sweaters, it just doesn't get cold enough here for long enough to wear big bulky sweater all the time, especially in heated buildings.  Sock weight sweaters like this one are perfect because I can wear them much more often and I definitely have a number of them in my queue.  I haven't taken on any test knits recently because I am trying to avoid deadlines at the moment but you never know when something irresistible might come along and I'll throw myself in headlong again.  In fact, I barely talked myself out of applying for the test knit for the Blooming Dream Tee by CamilleKnitDesign and now I am anxiously awaiting the pattern release because I really think I have to make it.  I just wasn't able to commit to the deadline when the test knit call came out.  It is such a beautiful design and I think it will be really wearable as a dressy summer and transitional season piece.  Wearability and realistic choices in knitting are something to address in another post though and it's time to tuck the kids into bed.

Until next time,
Somer
 







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ridiculously Easy 3x3 hat

So I was on my way out the door to the St. Louis Cardinals game a couple nights ago when I realized I didn't have any purse size knitting on hand. I grabbed a ball of bernat chunky and a pair of size 10 16" circs out of my travel bag and stuffed them into my purse to contemplate at the game. I wanted something so super easy that by the time the game started I wouldn't have to think about it. I feel almost silly sharing this pattern, but I figured why not. So here is the hat: I don't really intend to turn up the edge to make a brim, but my model had trouble keeping it on otherwise. Its really stretchy and should fit almost any adult head. Its long enough to cover your ears, so if you really want a brim, go ahead and flip up the edge. Ok, here goes the pattern: Ridiculously Easy 3x3 Hat Yarn: I used Bernat Chunky Needles: Size 10 16" Circs or preferred method of knitting in the round CO 60 stitches and join for knitting in the round. Work in 3x3 rib for 7 inche

The Illy Cowl & Pattern

I was inspired by the fabulous Ilene of Much Love, Illy and her love for mustard colored accent pieces, so when she very patiently dealt with my first blog advertising endeavor, I decided to send her a little something.  I had some designs floating around in my head, but this one spoke to me as really being her style, so the Illy Cowl was born.  (picture stolen from Ilene, with her permission of course)  Here's a couple close-ups.  It's an easy, fairly open lace-work pattern that looks far more complicated than it actually is.  It's also lightweight and comfortable on.    I played around and took some pics before I mailed it off.  Last week I worked on a purple version, which I inadvertently made wider than the original.  (Nothing like screwing up your own pattern, huh?)  I forgot that I only put one repeat of garter rows between the lace repeats, oh well.  The mix up caused me to run out of yarn in the middle of THE VERY LAST ROW.  Sooooo frustrating!  And it was during

GIVEAWAY!!!

As many of you know, I love working with hand dyed yarn.  I especially love Farm Girl Fiber yarn!  Bridgette has an eye for color and has a lot of fun with what she does.  That is why I am so super thrilled that Farm Girl Fiber is sponsoring this giveaway in honor of my opening an etsy shop!   Before the goods, a recap:  I made this Acorn Head hooded cowl for myself on Christmas this year.  I've known pretty much since I bought the yarn exactly what it was going to be, I just had to find time to do it.  This cowl was out of my FGF birthday yarn!  You can't tell in the picture, but it has just this hind of sparkle to it.  Love! I made 2 of these for two different swaps and I really wish I had made and kept one for myself while she still had the yarn!  It was so super soft and super bulky and fantastic!  Sometimes Farm Girl Fiber has very limited lots of things, so if you find something you love, you really need to snatch it up.  My whole Monday night knitting group went mad ov