Friday, August 6, 2010

5th Avenue Infinity Scarf

I started this lovely cowl at Fiber Christmas using some of Bridgette's hand dyed yarn. The yarn has just a bit of shimmer or sparkle to it that doesn't really show up in the pictures, but its cool. Subtle enough for me but just enough there to be fun. The pattern is a 4 row repeat, so it was easy to memorize and be able to pick up and put down as things happened throughout the day.
Since I had only had short cable size 9s with me, I went and bought a pair for $5 thinking that wouldn't be bad for needles even in a size I already had at home. These needles became the bane of my existence.
Look first at the cable on the needles. Its not a normal cable, its a tube. And this tube, while uber flexible, was not super slick, so my not entirely smooth either yarn did NOT slide willingly on the cable. Secondly look at the join. Even after forcing the yarn to slide over the cable, additional forcing was necessary to get it onto the needle. No wonder I ended up buying a new drop spindle and some roving, these needles are impossible.

So I switcharooed the needles as soon as I was at home and some addis were within my reach. This will teach me to carefully examen cheep needles to find out why they are cheap from now on. Once on normal needles, the project flew.
Last night I bound off and tucked in ends. I haven't blocked it yet, so it might roll a little less once i do, but its still purdy. Now I just have to wait until it decides to get cool around here to wear it.

I put it around my neck last night to see how it looked and how many times I can wrap it comfortably (3) but i was only able to keep it on a few seconds, so my curio cabinet is demonstrating wearing it instead.

After finishing the 5th Avenue Infinity Scarf last night I was in that limbo of what to do now and instead of casting on something new I went and pulled out a project that has been sitting dormant in the closet for 2 years. Of course, when I pulled it out I remembered that the reason it got put in the closet is that a young puppy Riley got ahold of the bamboo size 11 needles and chewed the hell out of one end. Booo. At the time I didn't have any other long size 11 circs, but with my knitpicks options that problem has now been solved. Its a very big and very heavy project, so I won't be able to work on it anywhere that isn't seriously air conditioned, but I have the lofty new goal of finishing it this fall. I know I am being very vague, but after hiding it for 2 years, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise.

No comments: